A visual timeline of Hancock Township can be found here.

A text version of this timeline can be downloaded here:

The information in these timelines was compiled by Ann Kemppainen.

Sawmill Point

Sawmill point history:

Lily Pond

In the late 1860s, work began on a canal stretching from Lily Pond to Lake Superior.

In 1892, the North entry of Keweenaw Waterway was deepened to 16 ft x 120 ft wide; later it was deepened to 20 ft x 150 ft wide.

Old Clerk Office

The Old Clerk Office

Hancock Village was originally part of Hancock Township. The two governmental entities shared a common clerk, Michael Finn, for 37 years. Finn was also a JP. The central door led to his office upstairs of the building pictured here (currently KC Bonkers). Township meetings were often held here until Hancock incorportated as a city in1903 and left the township.

Finnish Farmers Milling Company

The Finnish Farmers Milling Company (FFMC) is an important part of the history of Hancock Township. The following file is a historical summary by Dana Richter:

More information on the Finnish Farmers Milling Company can be seen here:

Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson

In Hancock Township, Andrew Johnson was a landowner, lumberman, and President of the Finnish Farmer’s Milling Company. A native Finn, Johnson sold most of his logged over properties to other Finnish immigrants and thus developed the Salo and Waasa regions of the township. Johnson served many other prominent roles in the community outside Hancock Township.

1911 Plat Book

A plat is a cadastral map, drawn to scale, showing the divisions of a piece of land. The plat above is for the town of Hancock. It is from 1911.

Big Louie

Lauri “Big Louie” Moilanen

A famous Hancock Township resident was Lauri “Big Louie” Moilanen. Also known as “The Giant Finn of the Copper Country”. This title was given due to his 8 ft 3 in height. He was born January 5, 1886 on Salo Rd and died September 16, 1913.

More information on Big Louie can be found within this document:

Hancock Canal School

The Hancock Canal School prior to burning down in 1938.

Opened in 1897, the Hancock Canal School operated as a K-8 school until it burnt down on February 24, 1938.

2018 Father’s Day Flood

In 2018 during Father’s Day weekend (June 15th – 17th), heavy rain fell across much of the western portions of Upper Michigan. The hardest hit area was in Houghton county, MI. The widespread rain amounted to 3 to almost 7 inches, causing massive amounts of damage to Hoghton and surrounding areas.

M203 after the 2018 Father’s Day Flood:

Pontiac Road after the 2018 Father’s Day Flood:

Pontiac Road after the 2018 Father’s Day Flood

Salo Road after the 2018 Father’s Day Flood:

Swedetown Creek after the 2018 Father’s Day Flood:

“Did you know”

Hancock Township has a rich and diverse history, there always seems to be more to know!

Ann Kemppainen has compiled a list of facts about Hancock Township:

%d bloggers like this: